Happy New Year, everybody! We hope that 2012 was filled with lots of great times for you, but we also hope that 2013 is filled with even more awesomeness. Maybe you made some resolutions, too? Well, if two of your resolutions were to save money at restaurants and to check out some awesome food events, you can make your dreams come true before February even begins! If these weren’t your resolutions, it’s still only January 1st and you can add just two.
Mohegan Sun Restaurant Week
Going down from January 6-11 with special deals, food, and offers. Here are some great reasons to check out the restaurants at Mohegan Sun:
1) Check out Hash House A Go Go, Mohegan Sun’s newest restaurant that touts “Twisted Farm Food.” They’ll be featuring their HH Sage Fried Chicken & Waffles, “two sage-fried chicken breasts atop a bacon waffle tower with hot maple reduction and fried leeks.”
2) The classics:
- BALLO Italian Restaurant & Social Club - Four course dinner at $29.95 per person from 4:00pm – close on January 7th – 11th
- Bobby’s Burger Palace - 20% off food purchase
- Bobby Flay’s Bar Americain - 20% off food purchase
- Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville - (Wasting away again with) Margaritaville Stuffed Shrimp with Lemon Butter Sauce with four Crabmeat-stuffed Shrimp, Portabella Parmesan Cream Rice and Green Beans for $27.95
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts - FREE small soda or drip coffee with purchase of a dozen doughnuts
- The Lansdowne Irish Pub & Music House - Specials for each day of restaurant week.
- Michael Jordan’s 23.sportcafe - Three course meal for $20.13 per person
- Michael Jordan’s Steak House - Two courses, one of which is a nick Hanger steak for only $20.13 per person
- Seasons Buffet - 20% off food purchase
- SolToro Tequila Grill - Four courses for just $20.13 per person
- Starbucks Coffee - Purchase any breakfast sandwich and receive a free drip coffee
- Todd English’s Tuscany - 20% off food purchase
3) Momma needs a new pair of shoes and that’s hard work. You need to get some energy in that body to help you make that right “hit” or “stay” decision. Don’t you want to hear lots of “Winner Winner Chicken Dinners”?
For full details on specials and menus, click here.
Mohegan Sun WineFest
Can you believe this is the 10th Annual Sun WineFest? Amazing! Well, you know how 10 year anniversaries go: they are bigger and better than before. This is definitely the case this year, and it seems that people are well aware of this. Turns out, things are selling fast, and even some things have sold out already, even though it’s still weeks away, from January 25 to the 27th. Here are some of the awesome reasons why you’ll want to be part of the celebrations, drinking, and culinary fiestas:
1) The Sun WineFest Grand Tasting. When we went a few years back, we found some amazing wine, brought home some great cigars, and tried some great food. Although the Saturday session from 12-5 is sold out (but if you get the Elite Cru Tasting, you can get a ticket), the January 27th session from 12-5 is still open at $70 for a one day pass. Buy here. Here is what you’ll get:
- Wine from J. Lohr, Cannonball, Bogle, Banfi, Justin, and more
- Beer from Brooklyn Brewery, Dogfish Head, Founders, Harpoon, Heavy Seas, and more
- Speciality spirits
- Food from Alforno, Pepe’s, Jasper White’s Summer Shack, Plan B Burger Bar, and more. Extra charge for signature dishes with a portion going to Channel 3 Kids Camp.
- Chef demonstrations including Robert Irvine, Todd English, Donatella Arpaia, and more
- Grape Stomp with teams trying to stomp their way to the top by squeezing out the most grape juice on Saturday from 4-4:45. This event will benefit the UConn Foundation, Inc.’s Jim Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride and Walk and the winning group will get $1,500, an overnight stay at Mohegan Sun, dinner for two at Tuscany, and pedicures from Elemis Spa. Applications must be received by January 4, so hurry up!
- 9th Annual Oyster Open to figure out who the biggest and baddest shucker is. At stake is $5,000 in total prizes and the glory of winning! It all goes down on Sunday from 4:15-5:15. If you think you’ve got what it takes to pry open those oysters the fastest, apply here by January 4.
2) Bourbon Tasting presented by Beam for $90 (buy tickets here)
- On 1/25 at Sunburst next to SolToro from 6-9, you can partake in bourbon tastings and history.
- Plan B mixologists will be on hand to create bourbon cocktails
- AVO Cigars will provide cigar sampling to complete your bourbon fantasies
3) Elite Cru Tasting
- For $200 (tickets here), you’ll get a Saturday Grand Tasting ticket and a $50 gift certificate to igourmet.com
- Try out some amazing vintages from around the world and meet the winemakers!
- Held at The Cabaret Theatre, you’ll also be able to taste South Bay Blonde Oysters, have some shrimp from Mazzetta Company, and nom on speciality cheese from igourmet.com
4) Mohegan Sun WineFest Seminar Series
- Venice Is Calling: How To Craft The Famous Bellini, 1/26 at 12:30 at Tuscany Restaurant for $50
- Argentina And Malbec: The Perfect Pairing, 1/26 at 2:30 at Tuscany Restaurant for $45
5) Celebrity Chef Dine Around
- Bobby Flay, Todd English, Robert Irvine, and Jasper White and other chefs will be cooking up a storm while you have wine or beer that complement each dish. This is taking place from on 1/26 from 8-11 in Uncas Ballroom for $185 per person. Buy tickets here.
6) All Things Food with Bobby Flay
- At The Cabaret Theatre on 1/27 from 11-12 pm, check out Bobbly Flay talking, answering questions, and doing a cooking demo.
- $50 gets you in the door and also gets you a pre-signed copy of Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries, and Shakes. Those are sold out, actually, but there are ticket packages ($100, including grand tasting) that you can buy.
7) Bubbles & Bon Bons
- The closing party of Sun WineFest, going down on 1/27 from 6-9 at The Cabaret Theatre for $95.
- The desserts of Dorie Greenspan, Minday Segal, and Gesine Bullock-Prado will be paired with Moët Impérial Champagne and Grand Marnier.
Sun WineFest 2013 Ticket Package
Grain & Grape Package
All Things Food with Bobby Flay & Sunday Grand Tasting - New!
All Things Food with Bobby Flay; Sunday, January 27th, The Cabaret Theatre, 11:00am – 12:00pm and Grand Tasting; Sunday, Convention Center, 12:00pm – 5:00pm
$100 ($20 savings) includes a pre-signed copy of Bobby Flay’s Burgers, Fries, and Shakes