“After 25 years of naming America’s Best New Chefs, we’re ready for dessert: F&W editors are searching for the Best New Pastry Chefs in the country and you can help us crown The People’s Best New Pastry Chef!”
Yes, you heard that right…now Food & Wine is looking for the newest maven of muffins, the sultan of strudel, the ultimate baker of biscuits, the queen of tarts, the king of key lime pie…The People’s Best New Pastry Chef. There are pastry chefs from the West, Central, and the East up for the big honor. And, when you click through to the East region, you will see an amazing array of skilled chefs who are up for the prestigious The People’s Best New Pastry Chef. And, there amongst the New York City, Atlanta, Boston, and DC chefs is Caryn Stabinsky, pastry chef at elm of New Canaan, Connecticut.
While it has only been around for a year, elm has garnered lots of praise and won top honors by becoming one of Esquire’s Best New Restaurants for 2012. And, hopefully after this contest (the voting ends April 8, so chop chop), they will have another award to add to their tasting table. Why do you need to vote for Caryn? Well, she went to the Institute of Culinary Education and has been at some great places such as Monkey Bar, WD~50, and Oceana. And here are just some of the desserts that she has crafted at elm:
- lemon cream shortcake: citrus salad, blood orange jus
- butterscotch pudding: chocolate crumb, cranberry jam, almond brittle
- salty chocolate smores: vanilla fluff, graham cracker crumb, chocolate ice cream
- sticky toffee pudding: toffee sauce, crème fraîche
- bittersweet chocolate cake: grand marnier, hazelnut ice cream
- cookie plate: chocolate chip, lavender lemon, chocolate
- housemade ice creams & sorbets: selection of three butterscotch pudding chocolate crumb, cranberry jam, vanilla cream
- strawberry shortcake: whipped cream, strawberry sauce
- blueberry galette: vanilla custard, kaffir lime
- coffee & donuts: ricotta, currants, coffee ice cream
- banana split: vanilla cocoa nib, chocolate & strawberry ice creams
Make sure to show your love of elm, Caryn, and all things local by voting her in!
Let’s do this!