Update: we tried Vanchetta and we loved it. Here’s our review.
Porchetta. Say it with us: pour•keht•uh. The “keht” part is really important if you want to sound Italian and authentic. It’s like when you order a gyro and say, “I’ll have a gi•ro,” rather than, “I’ll have a yeer•o.” And, while we’re at it, it’s brew•sket•uh, not brew•shet•uh. Okay, we’re done with our language lesson for the day. Let’s dig into what porchetta is and why you’re going to be so happy that you’ll get a ton of it with a new food truck called Vanchetta that has its soft opening this week in Stamford. Porchetta starts off as a pork roast that is layered with stuffing and herbs (garlic, rosemary), meat, fat, then it’s put on a spit then roasted. In the case of Vanchetta, it’ll be roasted over their rotisserie.
But, you won’t be getting just porchetta when you stop by Vanchetta. You’ll have a Porchetta Sandwich with Vanchetta apple slaw, provolone, and red onion marmalade. Some of the other choices that they are testing out opening week are their:
- Half/whole rotisserie hormone-free chicken served with Vanchetta apple slaw and tomato corn salsa
- Pulled chicken sandwich that features garlic mayo, their tomato corn salsa, and the Vanchetta apple slaw.
- Sausage sandwich with hot Italian sausage (the only way to go), peppers, agro-dolce (sour and sweet) sauce, served on ciabatta
- Caprese with homemade mooz, tomatoes, and pesto
- Patatas bravas (we had lots of these in Spain) which are roasted potatoes that are served with a spicy tomato sauce and garlic mayo.
They have been at different locations (Beer Garden, Summer Street, and Bell Street) this week for their soft opening, so you should follow them on Twitter or like them on FB to find out their exact location. Most likely, though, you’ll find them around 1100 Summer Street from 11-3 pm.
Here’s to another great food truck that we’re excited about and here’s to more food variety in Fairfield County. We’ll keep you updated with info as we learn more about Vanchetta.