There are probably not many things that are more New Englandy than clambakes. So, lets just concede and agree with us for the sake of this post. Deal? Deal.
And, if you want a clambake why not do it right? That’s what the Norwalk Seaport Association has planned again this summer. Leaving at 6 pm from the Sheffield Island Lighthouse dock on the corner of North Water and Washington, the C.J. Toth catamaran will take you for a cruise around the sound then let you off for a killer dinner on Sheffield Island, overlooking the lighthouse. While you’re there, you’ll also have a tour of the 145 year old Sheffield Island Lighthouse!
Now, onto the clambake itself. They are happening every Thursday from 6-10 pm and costs $65 or $79 if you’d like lobster. At the helm of the grill and cooking up the perfect storm will be Chef Clyde Ripka of Bull’s Head Market. Before we post the menu, we have to say we were so awed by this experience that we immediately booked two tickets to paradise. Well, here’s the menu:
Menu for Basic Clambake Package – $65 per person:
- Mixed field green salad
- Steamer bag of steamed clams, mussels & corn on the cob with lemons and drawn butter
- Main Course is a choice of:
- BBQ Pork (Slow roasted then grilled with either Southern BBQ or traditional sauces)
- Rosemary Marinated Breast of Chicken with summer tomato bruschetta
- BBQ Half Chicken
- Marinated Rib Eye Steak
- Teriyaki Marinated Atlantic Salmon
- Vegetarian Burger or Grilled Faux Chicken Breast
- For $79, choose the 1.5 hard shell lobster as your main course
All menu choices include….
- Grilled Potato “Chips”
- Classic Cole Slaw
- Grilled Summer Squash with fresh thyme
- Summer Strawberry Shortbread Cake made with fresh summer berries with sugared biscuit shortbread and cream
- Lemonade and Iced Tea
- Bring along your favorite beverage and we will provide the ice and cups.
And, here are some final notes from the Norwalk Seaport Association:
Note: – Sheffield Island is a rocky outcrop with rolling terrain and the docking facilities do not meet ADA regulations. Every effort has been made to minimize non-compliance. The gangway leading from the dock to the island is wide enough to accommodate a standard wheelchair. The gangway incline (steepness) is determined by the height of the tide; at low tide it is steeper than at high tide. Due to liability concerns, the Sheffield Island staff is disallowed to assist with lifting or pushing a wheelchair or stroller. It will be important for the physically challenged to travel with a companion abled to assist them.
-Tickets are non-refundable and cannot be rescheduled, unless tour is canceled by the Norwalk Seaport Association (i.e. in the event of severe weather).
-All climbers must be at least 8 years old or 50 inches tall to be eligible to climb the tower.
-Please wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes with a closed heal or back strap to keep the shoes on the feet. Flip-flops are not allowed due to safety concerns.