On Monday we told you about the opening day of the Black Rock Farmers’ Market, so we couldn’t just skip talking about the ever-popular Black Rock Day…now could we? Pssh, of course not! When we lived in Black Rock, this was THE event of the year: the one that we looked forward to all year long. One year we even got to be judges to see who put on the best themed party along the parade route. Well, let’s just say we drank quite a few drinks and spent the rest of the day as incapacitated lumps on our couches.
Well, get ready because Black Rock Day is back this year and is going down this Sunday, June 8! There are lots of different things going on, so get ready:
• Registration is open until June 6
• Starts at the Norden Club on 4 Seabright Avenue
• Prizes for winners and dri-fit shirts for pre-registers
• Food and drinks afterward from Taco Loco, Food Should Taste Good, Propel Zero, and more…
11:30 am: Black Rock Bed Race
• Meet at the flagpole at Brewster Street and Grovers Ave (bed teams need to arrive at 10:30)
• Teams fit four wheels onto the beds and race them with always at least one person on the bed
• Awards given out for speed and creativity
12: Black Rock Day Parade
• Catch the parade starting at the Burroughs Community Center and follow it to Ellsworth Field
• Check out all the bands, floats, groups, and local celebs who make the parade so awesome
1-6: Black Rock Day Festival at Ellsworth Field (admission $3 for adults, $1 for seniors and kids, children 12 and under are free)
• Yes, this is the culmination of an awesome day!
• There will be live music from the BRYAC Funk All-Stars (members of Deep Banana Blackout and Kung Fu are in this band)
• Plenty of activities for kids like rocketry, magic, tug o’ war, face painting, and pony rides
• Oh, and food (bring along some extra money)!
⇒ Black Rock Yacht and Athletic Club (BRYAC): http://www.bryac.biz
⇒ Fire Engine Pizza Co.: http://thefireenginepizzaco.com
⇒ Walrus & Carpenter: http://www.walruscarpenterct.com