One of the biggest struggles of Thanksgiving is finding that right balance between buying food in advance and dealing with other shoppers when you’re running to the store the last minute if you’re lucky enough to have a grocery store open on Turkey Day. But, hey, it’s even easier this year to make a great Thanksgiving feast with a special Westport Farmers’ Market Holiday Market! Come down to Gilbertie’s Herb Gardens (7 Sylvan Lane in Westport) from 10-2 on November 24, and there will be plenty to check out.
They will have all their regular vendors on hand and, if you’d like, you can even pre-order if you hit up the market this week or next week to make for an early pick-up. How awesome would it be to have a completely Connecticut Thanksgiving dinner? Yup yup, that’s a hardcore locavore.
Speaking of checking out the market beforehand, this Saturday at Gilbertie’s will be the first week that the “Winter” Market is in session from 10-2. From 11/14 all the way until March 12 you can get a taste of local food and ingredients. Honestly, there’s enough food and products there so that you could do your food shopping for the week without even hitting up the grocery store.
Please check below for a list of the vendors and for a list of dates for the market that includes some special events like demos or cooking contests.
Winter Vendors (* indicates a rotating vendor on a biweekly or triweekly schedule)
- Aradia Farm
- Beltane Farm
- Boxcar Cantina
- Calcutta Kitchens
- Connecticut Gourmet*
- Doc’s Organic Maple Syrup*
- Dorset Maple Syrup*
- Flour City Pasta
- Fort Hill Farm
- Healing Home Foods*
- Huckleberry Artisan Pastries
- Izzi B Allergen Free Baked Goods
- Jane’s Good Food*
- The Local Catch
- Molly & Murphy Dog Biscuits*
- Nutty Bunny Vegan Ice Cream
- Om Champagne Tea
- Oxhollow Farm
- Paul’s Organic Dog Food & Treats
- Raus Coffee
- Riverbank Farm
- Sankow’s Beaver Brook Farm
- Simply Delicious
- Skinny Pines
- Sport Hill Farm
- Sugar & Olives
- Tapas Box
- Two Guys From Woodbridge
- Wave Hill Breads
- Woodland Farm
- Nov 14 – Canned Jar Swap at 12:00 p.m.
- Nov 21 – Green Moon will showcase holiday activities.
- Nov 24 – Special Holiday Market
- Nov 28 – closed
- Dec 5 – Cooking Competition – Home cooks compete with featured ingredient
- Dec 13 –Wreath Making – Gilbertie Staff
- Dec 19 – Vagabond Daughter – Organic vegetable fabric dying
- Dec 27 – closed
- Jan 3 – Compost lecture with Master Gardener
- Jan 9 – Joe’s Sprout tutorial – Gilbertie’s Staff
- Jan 16 – The Stand – learn how to cleanse with Carissa
- Jan 23 – Olive Oil Tasting and talk with Olivette
- Jan 30 – Sal Gilbertie talks gardening, greens, herbs and more.
- Feb 6 -Paul’s Custom Pet Food teaches us how to have healthier pets.
- Feb 13 – Topiary demonstration and lesson – Gilbertie Staff
- Feb 20 – Learn about tea with Wei from Arogya
- Feb 27 – CTbites’ Stephanie Webster demonstrates how to photograph food
- March 5 – Learn how to make perfume, the history of the industry and more with Wei
- March 12 – Spring planting – Gilbertie Staff