Is it September yet? Oh, man, we just want to fast forward, skip all the heatwaves and skip all the storms until we get to the 2016 Greenwich Wine & Food Festival. This year it’s going down on September 23-24 and we have some details to share with ya like the musical acts, celebrity chefs, and some of the nomworthy features of this awesome annual event. We are also very happy to share that Serendipity is donating profits to Paul Newman’s The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, Wholesome Wave and The Greenwich Department of Parks and Recreation! Well, here are some of the preliminary details:
- You remember how The Wailers played last year? Well, this year we have Bob Marley’s son playing, Ziggy! Ziggy freakin’ Marley! Ziggy will be co-headlining with Old Crow Medicine Show, too, so you won’t want to miss all of this going down on Saturday during the main festival.
- The first three celebrity chefs who will be at this year’s festival have been named: Adam Richman (read our interview with Adam here), as well as Chefs Michael Nischan and Marcus Samuelsson. They will be circulating around the event, giving demos, speaking, and:
- Adam Richman will be hosting Friday night’s Master Chef Dinner. A select few chefs from across Westchester and Fairfield Counties will be plating signature dishes for that night. In addition, ambassador chefs who spent previous years as Most Innovative Chefs will be on hand to cook up a storm. Taking the stage that night is The Bacon Brothers!
- Chef Michel Nischan’s organization, Wholesome Wave, has been affecting major change in our country and with the way that we source and distribute our food. He will be a part of the festivities this year and Wholesome Wave is one of the beneficiaries of ticket sales, too. He will be hosting a special dinner for VIP
ticket holders on Saturday that is sustainable and will feature locally-sourced ingredients. In addition, VIPs will get access to a private tent that includes premium drinks and an exclusive lounge area that has its own restroom and viewing area for the Ziggy/Old Crow Medicine Show concert!
- Chef Marcus Samuelsson will also be hosting a special dinner on Saturday night, this one being the Intimate Dinner. Along with staff from his amazingly successful and world-renown Red Rooster Harlem, he’ll be serving up a meal “inspired by the roots of American cuisine.” The seated dinner will take place from 6:30-8:30 and there are two options: 1) At a private table with a beautiful view of the music stage or 2) At a lawn table right by the stage.
Saturday will be amazing as ever this year with tastings, demos, book signings, wine, beer, cocktails, and more! If the tastings aren’t enough for you, then check out the Burger & Brew Tent, Grill Master Tent, and Taco Party. Also, you’ll want to stop by to witness the action for competitions such as the 1st Annual Ultimate Sandwich Take-Down, the 5th Annual Burger Battle, and the 3rd Annual Top Bartender’s Showdown!
Tickets are expected to go on sale soon, so keep checking here or call 203.588.1363 for more info and to purchase tix. The event’s Facebook page will announce restaurant participants and schedule updates, too.
When we get more info for you, we’ll be sure to share.
ABOUT ZIGGY MARLEY
A six-time Grammy winner, Emmy Winner, humanitarian, singer, songwriter and producer, Ziggy Marley has released twelve albums to much critical acclaim. His early immersion in music came at age ten when he sat in on recording sessions with his father, Bob Marley. As front man to Ziggy Marley and The Melody Makers, the group released eight best-selling albums that garnered three Grammys, with such chart-topping hits as “Look Who’s Dancing,” “Tomorrow People” and “Tumbling Down.” Ziggy’s first solo album, Dragonfly (RCA Records), was released in 2003. His second solo release, Love is My Religion (Tuff Gong Worldwide), won a Grammy in 2006 for “Best Reggae Album.” His third solo album, Family Time (Tuff Gong Worldwide), scored him a 5th Grammy award for “Best Children’s Album.” In 2011, Ziggy released his critically acclaimed 4th studio album Wild And Free, which earned him a Grammy nomination, as well as his first ever comic book entitled MARIJUANAMAN. Ziggy Marley Organics, a GMO-free product line including flavored coconut oils and hemp seed snacks, was started in 2012. The products are distributed throughout the US and are available in over 1000 stores nationwide. His 2012 live album “Ziggy Marley In Concert,” recently earned him his 6th Grammy award for “Best Reggae Album.” To coincide with the release of his latest album “Fly Rasta,” Ziggy published his debut children’s book “I Love You Too,” a coproduction of Akashic Books and Tuff Gong Worldwide in 2014. The multicultural picture book is based on one of Ziggy’s most beloved songs of the same title from his Grammy Award-winning album “Family Time,” which explores a child’s relationship with parents, nature and the unstoppable force of love.
ABOUT OLD CROW MEDICINE SHOW
Old Crow Medicine Show started busking on street corners in 1998, through New York and up into Canada, winning audiences along the way with their boundless energy and spirit. They eventually found themselves in Boone, North Carolina where they caught the attention of folk icon Doc Watson while playing in front of a pharmacy. He invited the band to play at his festival, MerleFest, helping to launch their career. Shortly thereafter the band was hired to entertain crowds between shows at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, TN.
It’s been over fifteen years since these humble beginnings. The band has gone on to receive the honor of being inducted as members of the Grand Ole Opry, and have won two Grammy Awards: “Best Folk Album” for Remedy (2014) and “Best Long Form Music Video” for Big Easy Express (2013). Additionally, their classic single, “Wagon Wheel,” received the RIAA’s Platinum certification in 2013 for selling over 1,000,000 copies.
Old Crow Medicine Show now have five studio albums to their name, three of which were released by Nettwerk Records – O.C.M.S (2004) and Big Iron World (2006) produced by David Rawlings, and Tennessee Pusher (2008) produced by Don Was. In 2012, ATO Records released the Ted Hutt produced, Carry Me Back, on which they continued to craft classic American roots music. The band’s latest album, Remedy (2014), released by ATO Records and also produced by Ted Hutt includes new Old Crow classics like “Sweet Amarillo,” “8 Dogs 8 Banjos,” and “Brushy Mountain Cojugal Trailer”.
ABOUT BACON BROTHERS
The Bacon Brothers are anything but a typical rock band. Brothers Michael and Kevin Bacon, each accomplished in their own right, play gritty rock that is unapologetically unique and authentic. Their style can best be described by their first album title, Forosoco, a word describing the blend of folk, rock, soul and country influences. Now, nearly 20 years later, The Bacon Brothers continue to impress audiences and critics with their soulful sound and their latest offering of Americana, 36 Cents.
Older brother Michael, an acclaimed musician and composer, and younger brother Kevin, an award-winning actor, combine to form The Bacon Brothers. Their childhood hometown of Philadelphia is the brothers’ muse for their eclectic blend of rock and soul. Growing up in the City of Brotherly Love, Michael and Kevin were surrounded by music from an early age.
Michael started as a career musician in the 1960s, first playing gigs at Philadelphia’s Electric Factory with younger brother Kevin tagging along. He later moved to Nashville to pursue songwriting, and his musical career took off. Now, an Emmy Award-winning composer, Michael is credited with many original scores for film and television, most recently scoring the documentary “Good Fortune – The Story of Morgenthau.”
GREENWICH 2016 WINE+FOOD FESTIVAL
The GREENWICH 2016 WINE+FOOD FESTIVAL is a multi-day event that benefits The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, a nationwide organization dedicated to helping children and their families coping with cancer, sickle cell anemia and other serious illnesses, as well as Wholesome Wave and The Greenwich Department of Parks and Recreation. The festival is sponsored by Serendipity magazine in partnership with Pepsi.