You know it’s officially fall when Chowdafest, the most badass and decadent chowder fest in New England, comes back to CT. This year Chowdafest continues right at Sherwood Island State Park (the second year there) on October 2 from 11-3. Tickets are a measly $15 or $5 for kids (AAA saves you 20%) . . . and we can guarantee that you’ll eat way more than that in chowders, soups, samples, and more while you’re there. Plus, a portion of proceeds benefit the food rescue work of Community Plates, as well as Friends of Sherwood Island and Kids Helping Kids Foundation. Now, let’s get down and dirty and dig into this steaming hot bowl of awesomeness that is Chowdafest 2016:
- There’s lots more than just chowder and soup if you need a break. There’s the “Ciao”dafest section featuring Chabaso Bakery, a sampling of Jersey Italian Gravy, and a “MINI”strone tent; The Beverage Bog featuring Ocean Spray, Bigelow Tea, Schweppes, and Aquafina; ChowdaMex with Geronimo Tequila Bar and Southwest Grill and Frontera salsa and chips; a ChowdaKids section with activities for kids; and a Sweet Treats section with ice cream, cookies, cheese, yogurt, milk and more from The Farmer’s Cow, Cabot, Tate’s Bake Shop, and Dannon.
- Oh, and there’s chowder and soup! Ready? You get a spoon and a ballot . . . then you help decide who is ChowaBEST in four categories.
- Classic New England: The Beacon from Groton, Crave from Fairfield, Little Barn from Westport, Pike Place Chowder from Seattle, Rory’s from Darien, Sedona Taphouse from Norwalk, Shell & Bones from New Haven, Take Five Cookery from Hartford, and Sign of the Whale from Stamford.
Traditional Clam (Manhattan and Rhode Island): Captain Scott’s Lobster Dock from New London, Chef’s Table from Fairfield, The Clam Castle from Madison, Dunville’s from Westport, Harlem Yacht Club from City Island, Parallel Post from Trumbull, Rowayton Seafood from Rowayton, and Scribner’s from Woodmont.
- Creative Chowder: Blind Rhino from Norwalk, Castello of Niantic, Gaffney’s from Saratoga Springs, Hub and Spoke from Black Rock, Liquid Lunch from Shelton/Milford, Mediterraneo from Greenwich/Norwalk, Oscar’s Woodmont Kitchen, Our House from Winooski, and Smithsonian Chowder House from North Hampton in Mass.
- Soups & Bisque: The Boathouse at Saugatuck from Westport, Boothbay Lobster Company from Stamford, Crab Shell from Stamford, Gaspar’s from New London, Geronimo from Fairfield/New Haven, Old Post Tavern from Fairfield, Sam’s American Bistro from Stamford, Simply Delicious Catering from Norwalk, and Tikkaway Grill from New Haven.